Sunday, June 23, 2013

Game Jam part 2 and totally tired

Hello guy,
how are you doing. Well I'm super tired (look at title x)). Still, I really want to post.

Game Jam is over. In my last post I already wrote about it. Now I try to be a bit more precise.
As I wrote, you have 44 hours to create a game. A guy from a game company organized the whole thing. I was part of a team with eight others. Three designers, five programmers and one game designer. Quite the big team but we handled it very well. Oh, and the theme they gave us for the game was "violence".
We took the violence and put it in the environment. To create a contrast we made the playable character super cute.
The whole world we designed is trying to harm you. First we wanted to insert a deeper message. When something hits you we wanted that body parts are falling apart. So you even when you made it, the violence would have scarred you. (Yeah deep shit man.) But there just wasn't enough time ...
So we just tried to make it "juicy". We tried to make something small but good looking.

Dimi, one of us designers made the rough animations and my job was to make them good looking. You can watch his animations and read his experience on his blog:
Dimi's blog

So here is what I did.
First the loading screen. I have drawn this today, because I got the time.


Meet our super cute/creepy little "Neony". We called him Bob.

I really want to show you the animations but for some reasons I cant upload them right ...
So you have to click in these links to see Bob walking, jumping, getting hit and dying.

Walk
Getting hit
Jumping
Landing
Dying

I can show you this animation. For some reason this works...
It's a pill you can collect.



And when you do this happens to the background that has Jasmin drawn.
Link to Jasmin's blog

And this little thing was the goal.

Oh, and I can also show you the very first concept art shit.


I have drawn this in two or five minutes. x) But yeah ... this is how our concept started.

Theoretically you can play our game here: GAME
But in my browser it wont work .... so no guarantee ...

This weekend was a ton of fun. Working in an team is really nice. Game Jam was a nice opportunity to meet new people interested in the same stuff like you. And it was cool to really create a (kind of) finished game.
Next year again :D

(btw it's also really nice to get food and drinks all for free xDD Sushi was delicious. Thanks Innogames
(・▽・))

edit:
I almost forgot to show you guys some fotos  (*´・v・)



Hard work :)

Cake from the BBQ Saturday (and cats (=^・ェ・^=))


Outside we found some cool gamma radiation

Our programmers övö

final presentation (also this is the winner team with a really cool game ;))

1 comment:

  1. I can play the game. It's fun but kinda hard. I die and die and die. XD Bob is cute.
    When I was a trainee at Daedalic entertainment, they also hold a game jam, but couldn't participate. I had to do animations for a game with a massive time lag. XD

    ReplyDelete